As skin ages, the skin's appearance looks dull and lifeless due to the combination of dead cell build up and the accumulation of toxins within the cell layers. As a consequence, less nourishment gets delivered to the cells, and toxins and cellular wastes can build up.
Microdermabrasion is a two-step process including:
- a vacuum component which aids in stimulating circulation and promoting lymphatic drainage. This brings nourishment to the cells and aids the movement of toxins out of the body resulting in a brighter, more luminous complexion.
- intense exfoliation using inert crystals. The force of the crystals on the surface of the skin provides a micro trauma that sets up the skin's rejuvenation process. The treatment stimulates the production of collagen and elastin resulting in visible regeneration of the skin. This improves skin texture, elasticity and colour.
Patients considering microdermabrasion should be aware:
- Conditions such as pigmentation/age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, congestion, scarring and stretch marks can or may be improved.
- A course of treatments (one per week for 6-10 weeks) is recommended for visible skin results. After that, maintenance of one treatment per month is an advantage.
- Treatment time is generally 45 minutes with immediate results of smoother, softer skin.
- Mild redness may follow the treatment. This can be covered immediately with makeup, however there is no 'healing time', so no need to hide away before returning to your normal lifestyle.