Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure designed to increase and enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breast.
Breast augmentation is commonly performed for differing reasons. It may be because a woman’s breasts have never grown, a mother has seen a change in her breasts after having children, a woman would simply like to increase the size of her breats or make breasts of an uneven size or shape more symmentrical. It is a personal decision and should be made in consultation with the doctor.
Patients considering breast augmentation should be aware of the following:
- The procedure varies depending on the patient and the doctor will discuss the implant size, shape and incision points.
- Usually the scar is either around the areola or under the breast crease.
- A silicone implant is inserted behind the pectoral muscle to give a more natural look.
- The procedure is performed under general anaesthetic and takes approximately one to two hours.
- Bruising, tightness and swelling after surgery is normal.
- These side effects subside as the breasts begin to heal (usually between 4-6 weeks), during which time a supportive bra can be worn.
- Normally a period of 1-2 weeks off work is required.
- Exercise isn’t recommended for a couple of weeks.
To learn more about breast augmentation, and to make an appointment please contact our practice today.