Extremely large breasts can make a woman feel self-conscious and embarrassed, as well as physically uncomfortable. Breast reduction can provide relief from back, neck and shoulder problems, and allow for a greater range of activities.
Patients considering breast redution surgery should be aware:
- Breast reduction is performed by removing breast tissue, fat and excess skin.
- Usually the nipple is moved to a higher position on the breast.
- Scars will result from the surgery and the doctor will discuss this on consultation.
- This procedure takes 2-3 hours and is performed under a general anaesthetic in hospital.
- An overnight stay in hospital is generally required.
- Bruising, tightness and swelling after surgery are normal.
- These side effects subside as the breasts begin to heal (usually between 4-6 weeks), during which time a supportive bra must be worn.
To learn more about breast reduction, and to make an appointment please contact our practice today.